Recently on FOOTAGE of a 50-year-old ‘Irish’ woman abusing Air India crew after she was denied alcohol on a flight from Mumbai to London Heathrow has gone viral.
In several videos taken onboard, the woman – wrongly identified as an Irish national by Indian media- appears to abusively rant at Air India crew and pilot after cabin crew’s refused to serve her any more drinks.
Our reader Hemant Kumar Bisht, requested us to fact check this incident by forwarding us a twitter post:
See how this Irish lady working for some Human Rights NGO misbehaved with the Air India crew after she was refused another glass of wine.
The crew stopped serving her alcohol because she was heavily drunk.pic.twitter.com/NWSntTbALD
— Rishi Bagree ?? (@rishibagree) November 14, 2018
NARRATIVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
***Warning: The links and video’s contain explicit language which some readers/viewers might find offensive. ***
Irish women drunk on Air India Flight: I am Surprised that the Cabin Crew did not Physically Restrain this Pissed-Drunk International Criminal Lawyer and Restrict her to her Seat when she started this Drunken Rampaging Act? Only because she is European? https://t.co/8wcrWFN301
— Major Mathews Thekkedath (@MajorMathews) November 14, 2018
— AIRLIVE (@airlivenet) November 14, 2018
Belfast, Ireland-born Simone O’Broin, 50, who trained as a lawyer in the UK, studied international law and worked for years in Palestine, was understood to be on her way home from a two month break in Goa when she was caught on film. https://t.co/LTfNpL4TMO
— Tarun Shukla (@shukla_tarun) November 15, 2018
— The Sun (@TheSun) November 14, 2018
Drunk woman goes on racist rant on an Air India flight (WARNING: EXPLICIT!) pic.twitter.com/wvQeWbp0KX
— RT (@RT_com) November 14, 2018
#WATCH An Irish national on board Air India London-Mumbai flight verbally abuses the crew after she was refused more wine. The incident took place on November 10. (Note: Strong language) pic.twitter.com/bdZWico5Qq
— ANI (@ANI) November 14, 2018
OUR FACT CHECK
Fact Crescendo team did a fact check on this issue. We did Google Reverse Image search and researched various WhatsApp groups, Facebook & Twitter handles to check the veracity of the claim.
We found the following:
- British national, Simone O’Broin, 50 years old, was arrested after she was filmed ranting at Air India staff. She is an international lawyer, who had demanded more wine on the Mumbai-London flight. The Times of India quoted an airline source as saying the woman was served two bottles of wine but refused a third.
- The incident took place on November 10 on board Air India flight AI-131. The woman was seated in 1J.
- The British woman let loose an expletive-riddled drunken rant on an Air India flight after the crew refused to serve her more wine. The passenger was travelling business class on a flight from Mumbai to London on Saturday, 10th November 2018.
- Later on when the flight landed on Heathrow airport, in London, (United Kingdom), she was arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated public order and common assault.
- Belfast is Northern Ireland’s capital, in the Ulster Province and is under the Sovereign state of United Kingdom. So, Simone O’Broin even though being born in Belfast, is a citizen of United Kingdom and Not Ireland, as erroneously reported by lot of news media online.
- In a statement, the Metropolitan Police, London (United Kingdom) said:
- “At approximately 1.30pm on Saturday, 10 November, a 50-year-old woman was arrested after an Air India flight had landed at Heathrow Airport.
- “She was arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated public order, common assault and drunk and disorderly and taken to a west London police station.
- “She was subsequently released under investigation.”
- Air India Crew and Pilot behaved impeccably & handled the situation professionally, even though the passenger was abusive and behaved atrociously.
Our readers can read the articles given as link below to have a better & more in-depth understanding of this issue:
Fact Crescendo team tags this post as REAL and depicts an actual event.
Fact Crescendo advises its readers to visit various news media & fact checking websites online when in doubt about any WhatsApp or social media forward or post.
Fact Crescendo team thanks Hemant Bisht email@example.com for submitting this Twitter post for fact checking through our ‘Submit for Fact Check’ page.
Thanks to Hemant for his interest and support!
Do you feel that a certain story is fake? Do you know some additional factual details about a claim being shared on social media?
Then you can submit that claim or news here, for our team to verify and fact check for you.
-Fact Crescendo Team-